What are Dental Crowns?
A crown is a tooth shaped cover which is positioned over an existing damaged tooth to enhance strength and durability and to create a smoother look.
The placement of a crown is often recommended:
- to reinforce a tooth which is cracked or broken
- to repair a tooth which has an old large filling
- to cover a tooth which is severely decayed
- to reinforce a tooth that has had a root canal
- to encase a dental implant
- to anchor a dental bridge
Crowns strengthen and protect the remaining tooth structure and can improve the appearance of your smile.
Types of crowns include the full porcelain crown (ideal for use on the front teeth), the porcelain-fused-to-metal crown and the all-metal crown (ideal for use on the back teeth).